Tuesday 19 January 2016

Isobel Pooley: High jumper trying 'to break records, not look sexy'

Advertisement Banner


Isobel Pooley: High jumper trying 'to break records, not look sexy'
Isobel Pooley: High jumper trying 'to break records, not look sexy'
British high jumper Isobel Pooley is currently working towards a place in Team GB's squad for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

The 22-year-old, who won a silver medal for England at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, set a new British record in outdoor competition of 1.97m in 2015.

In her latest BBC column, Pooley discusses sexism in sport, indulging at Christmas and how to eat healthily the rest of the time.
I'm there to break records, not look sexy

Fortunately, sexism isn't an issue I've encountered within athletics. I'm aware that female sportspeople are sometimes objectified but I think the same thing happens to men - who hasn't swooned over Roger Federer or Anthony Joshua? (Sorry, Anthony!).

I'd rather earn respect and admiration for my physical achievements than my looks. When I'm training and competing, I am far more concerned with my performance than whether I might look stereotypically feminine or otherwise.

I think commitment, skill and ability are some of the most attractive traits in a partner. A guy is more likely to win me over with intelligent conversation and perfect grammar than with overstated confidence and good looks.





Advertisement Banner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget